market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] crows

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: andrea davis-cetina <andrea.m.davis AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] crows
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 19:58:08 -0700

I have trouble with quail in regards to my corn planting. I have had good success using flash tape (the shiny red and silver steamers). I tie the flash tape between two stakes about 6-12" inches above the ground.  I randomly put these in 6 to 20 foot sections right above the corn.

When the flash tape is tied between two stakes it makes a buzzing noise in the wind and the shiny colors is suppose to signal fire to the birds. I periodically move them randomly around the field to keep the birds guessing

After the corn has grown big enough that birds are no longer a threat, I remove the flash tape from the field because the birds are smart and will figure it out if it stays out there long enough.

Good luck,
Andrea

Quarter Acre Farm
Sonoma, CA where its so windy that even with weights my market tent tried to fly away today