market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Potato Digger

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Aaron Brower <aaronbrower AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Potato Digger
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 12:57:43 +0000 (UTC)

I've read digger manufacturers say that this was possible but I would be hesitant to try it. It would all depend on your bed set up and on your digger. I have a 1-row pto digger that works great but it would not be gentle enough for me to harvest beets or carrots. Also, we grow those in beds and the digger isnt wide enough. If you are looking for machinery to make your harvest more efficient, I would recommend an undercut bar.
Here is an example:

As far as cleaning beds after tilling, the digger does a great job of mixing up the soil and leaving any detritus on top. However, I typically think of that as a negative. I would prefer less disturbance and to incorporate any debris, but I suppose it all depends on your end goal.

Aaron