market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] seed germinating problems

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mark Weinheimer <mrw601 AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] seed germinating problems
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2016 21:52:25 -0400

 We, too, use McEnroe's potting soil.  We used Vermont Compost for several years, with very good results, but switched to McEnroe after the cost of VC became prohibitive, both for the material and the trucking, (McE is closer to us than VC).  We find the McEnroe material holds out a bit longer, before needing supplemental feeding.  With both materials, we have been adding Worm Power vermicompost.  With both mixes, it seems to reduce damping off problems.  We use 1 part WP to 12 parts potting soil.  We have seen some reduced germination for salt intolerant species, but not too bad.  Both VC and McE have been excellent for us, with a slight preference for McE, which is better screened and seems to hold transplants a bit longer. We have found McE a bit easier to deal with when sending truckers there, and more receptive to resolving difficulties.
Regarding tomatoe varieties, We use Mountain Merit for its LB resistence.  It's a good tomato with acceptable flavor, that saved our tomato season, a few years back.  It's a good standard commercial type tomato, with good yields.
We have also gone back to Jet Stars, My primary variety, when I farmed in the 70's.  Great flavor, great yields, when LB doesn't strike early. and extreme vigor.  JS outyielded all the high priced greenhouse varieties, in the tunnel, last year.  we like Polbig for an early tomato.  It yields well, has good sized fruit, for an early tomato, and fair flavor.  Not always altogether round., often slightly pointed blossom ends.  Still the best early tomato I've grown.

Mark Weinheimer
Farm Manager
Regional Food Bank of NENY
965 Albany-Shaker Road