market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Indigo tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Beth Spaugh <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Indigo tomatoes
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 11:25:02 -0400

I have not been favorably impressed with either the Indigo or the Artisan.  Unimpressed enough that they only got one year's trial.

On 4/7/2016 11:06 AM, Ken Bezilla wrote:
BAY180-W4049398380CD73B5422ADDD2900 AT phx.gbl" type="cite">
Here's a topic for the group -- anyone found any indigo tomatoes that they like?

We tried Indigo Rose when it first came out, weren't excited about the flavor (but, everything I've read about indigo tomatoes has said that's going to be the case, that it's taking a while to breed flavor into them, since the original blue tomatoes used to breed them were bleah/bitter).

Last year we tried Indigo Blue Beauty, Indigo Blue Berries, Indigo Gold Berries, and Indigo Cherry Drops.  Besides not having great flavor, most didn't hold up well in the heat here.  Indigo Cherry Drops was the only one that some of us actually liked for the flavor (with comments ranging from "that's OK" to "that's pretty good!")

Someone recommended Indigo Apple to us, so we're giving that one a try this year, here's hoping!

Ken Bezilla
central VA