market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] cucurbits

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Ken Bezilla <kenbez AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] cucurbits
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 10:02:56 -0500

Here in central Virginia, maximas are almost always a problem -- I'm figuring squash vine borers -- the plants live ~70-80 days, the fruits get nice and big and we get hopeful... and then they die all of a sudden.

2014 was a strange exception -- for the first time I've ever seen, we matured maximas without giving them any help.  (That same year, zucchini we planted in April lasted all the way til fall frost -- never seen that before either.)

If we really want to mature maximas here, the safest way is to grow them under extra-wide pieces of row cover, and keep them covered for the first 60 days (briefly uncovering for weeding and pollination).

Ken Bezilla
central VA