market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Hi Tunnel innovations

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Guy and Sandy Ashmore <guy AT thatguysfamilyfarm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hi Tunnel innovations
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 09:45:19 -0500

Hi ,

 I have to agree with Gary,I believe tunnels (high and low) are a very important way for farmers to increase income, especially new farmers. We have been using tunnels for over fifteen years. Our first ones we made out of bent electrical conduit (still using them). They are easy to move and the smallest is twelve feet wide, seven feet high and sixty eight feet long. We have added manufactured ones over the years of different sizes. The biggest being 30x96. We also use small caterpillar tunnels. Yes, we are working year round but instead of 80+ hours a week we are working about ten in the tunnels. Year round income from greens and storage crops are needed for us.

To go back to Bill's original post about innovative ideas the one we have seen that is we really liked is at Green Edge Farm in SE Ohio. I believe they have around ten 30x96 high tunnels, year round growing. They plant in a bed system, I believe six beds (not raised) Above each bed they have a high tensile wire about 18" of the ground running the length of the tunnel. The wire has one ratchet to keep the wire tight, just like the ones used for high tensile fencing.The support post for each wire is approximately two feet in from the edge so you can walk around the ends or move a tiller around. They place there row covers and plastic on this wire and can cover and uncover the entire hoop in a matter of minutes by one person. We haven't incorporated this into our tunnels yet but plan to.

Thanks Bill for bringing up good topics

Salt and Light,

Guy and Sandy Ashmore
That Guys Family Farm