market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Hoophouse inflation

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mike Rock <mikerock AT mhtc.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hoophouse inflation
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 09:05:09 -0600

Try putting a cigar or something else smelly at the air inlet and station folks around the house to detect the leak.......there IS a leak.

On 12/14/2015 3:40 PM, Pam Twin Oaks wrote:
When we first put up our 30' x 96' hoophouse (High Tunnel) we used a 60 cfm inflation blower and it worked well. In recent years we have not got enough inflation. This year we even changed the outer plastic (in case of a big rip on top where we couldn't see it) and got a new blower and cleaned the tubing. I also researched and was assured that the 60 cfm models would inflate much bigger hoophouses than ours. But it still isn't inflating.

Should I go up to the 148 cfm blower?? It is so much more than 60 cfm! Theoretically we don't need it, historically we didn't need it. But I notice one supplier of kits now supplies this larger blower to medium and large tunnels. We've tried everything else, it seems.

What size blower do other growers use for what size tunnel?

Thanks,
Pam Dawling

Author of Sustainable Market Farming, Intensive Vegetable Production on a Few Acres
sustainablemarketfarming.com
facebook.com/SustainableMarketFarming