market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Deer -- do they eat fava beans or not?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Robert G. Hadad" <rgh26 AT cornell.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Deer -- do they eat fava beans or not?
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 21:14:14 +0000

yHere in NY I have had deer and ground hogs eat fava beans in a variety trial this spring and had deer eat alliums - onions.

Once deer get a taste for something they continue to go for it. One observation was that they stopped eating them when the sunflowers came up. Once these plants were a foot or so tall both critters moved over to that plot.

Robert

GarlicGrower <garlicgrower AT green-logic.com> wrote:

Hi, Folks!

I’ve had several requests for fava beans for the Spring.  I’ve grown them before and they seem to do well here.

In the past, I’ve fenced the favas, but I’m getting conflicting information on whether or not deer will eat them

Anyone have any experience with deer eating or avoiding favas?

My gut says a deer will eat almost anything if it’s hungry enough, but alliums and larkspur are let alone, so figured I’d ask.

Thanks for the input!

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff

Hill Creek Farm