market-farming - [Market-farming] Hornet and Wasp damage to Asian pears

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marlin Burkholder <burkholders AT glenecofarm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Hornet and Wasp damage to Asian pears
  • Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2015 20:52:51 -0400

Title: Hornet and Wasp damage to Asian pears

This afternoon I went out to pick Asian pears and encountered real disaster.  We usually have about 10% damage from hornets and wasps biting or stinging the ripening fruit and leaving holes eaten into the fruit or rot spots around the bitten areas.  I was thinking of spraying the trees with Surround a week or two before ripening to try to discourage them but was busy that week and didn’t get it done.  When I went to picking I found well over 50% ruined fruit and that combined with Cedar-Apple rust damage (despite my efforts to keep the trees sprayed for that problem this summer), we have less than 25% marketable fruit and less than perfect at that.  I was a pretty discouraged puppy when I came in this evening.  We are in the middle of a late summer drought which makes me to suspect as a reason for the increased hornet and wasp damage.  Does anyone have an effective strategy for dealing with these boogers?