market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Ginger

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: David Paysnick <davepays AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Ginger
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2015 13:51:16 -0500

Plant disease, not human.

On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 1:11 PM, Kraft Marty <martyk AT allspecies.org> wrote:
What are the health risks? I drink tea from fresh ginger every morning. Maybe you have a link to info?

Thanks

Marty

On Jan 1, 2015, at 11:52 AM, David Paysnick <davepays AT gmail.com> wrote:

I have had great success using food-grade organic ginger but know that it comes with serious long term disease risks.  It is key to use Hawaiian ginger (as opposed to Peruvian - the only other organic source in the Northeast US that I am aware of) and procure it as fresh as possible.  Minimizing the time spent in refrigeration is important.

As a former produce manager of a food co-op, I would recommend talking to your produce manager and asking if they can procure you a case (or whatever you are seeking) as soon as a fresh batch arrives at their distributor.  This should give you the best chances of good germination if you choose to purchase food grade rather than seed grade ginger.