market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Homegrown AND local

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Homegrown AND local
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 14:43:00 -0400

Richard,
Successful enterprises, including farming, are oft collaborative.  We advertise that to our advantage.  For instance, our soaps include tallow and lard from a number of local farmers; who I point out when introducing market customers to our soaps.  And our sorghum molasses is a community affair, as are hog killings from which we source leaf lard for rendering.

So I stress the community aspect of my farm products, including those which are value-added.  For a number customers, it can make for a more interesting story.  That they're not only valuing my work, but the labor and wisdom of my neighbors as well; the elderly ones teaching these skills to my children.

As time permits, when a customer asks if I grew a certain vegetable, I'll mention the various neighbors who helped out along the way, from soil prep to final harvest and storage.  This speaks to my customers wanting to be more 'grounded', both literal and figurative.

Richard Moyer
Weeding and mulching in SW VA