market-farming - [Market-farming] Re shadecloth, bean beetles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pam Twin Oaks <pam AT twinoaks.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re shadecloth, bean beetles
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 13:41:32 -0400

On shadecloth, here's my 2 cents:
Knitted is more flexible/drapeable than woven - easier on hoops.
Don't get PVC if you want to put it over a hoophouse, as the PVC reacts with the poly. PVC is pretty evil environmentally anyway.
We bought 50% for our hoophouse in central Virginia (May to Sept), but I think 45% or even 40% would be better. 50% is a bit gloomy - edamame don't grow well in the reduced light. But peppers like some shade. Another case of "it depends".
We bought from gemplers.com.
On the hoophouse we use the clip-on grommets, rope, and metal hooks fastened into the baseboard. In the field we use spring steel hoops and clothespins. Odd piles of rocks every 6' to hold the edges down. It doesn't flap as much as rowcover because lots of breezes can blow through it.

On bean beetles and the suggestion of rowcover to keep them out: ProtekNet mesh might be even better. It lets air through and you can see what's happening to your plants without removing it. We buy from Purple Mountain Organics.

We're having a big load of striped cucumber beetles this year. . .

Pam
--
Pam Dawling

Author of Sustainable Market Farming, Intensive Vegetable Production on a Few Acres
sustainablemarketfarming.com
facebook.com/SustainableMarketFarming

  • [Market-farming] Re shadecloth, bean beetles, Pam Twin Oaks, 05/21/2014