market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Root veggies & chefs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Root veggies & chefs
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 20:45:55 -0400

Ditto on the chefs.  I love working with chefs.  We do our deliveries on different days and simply pile up all the chefs together.  Google maps is your friend here, making it very simple to gang up the right path for deliveries.

We've gone as far as building an on farm site (wood fired oven, custom built grill, 16x4x country table) so we can offer them a site to get out of the kitchen.  Ohio Revised Code allows us (or rather the chef) to do a BYOB and host 13 people with zero infrastructure or kitchen on site.

We do a very simple system where we take 25% of the per person rate and let the chef handle the rest.  Rates float between 80 and 120 per person. Because alcohol gets a little weird we never take any percentage of it if its offered by a business that can sell it off site (caterers and wine sellers).

We did 26 of them last year plus several larger catered events (including an Outstanding In The Field).  This year we are changing it up a bit and making more evenings available.  First dinner is May 4th.

Something to think about, especially with FSMA down the lineā€¦get people TO the farm.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855