market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Winter Root Prices

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "stonecirclefarm tds.net" <stonecirclefarm AT tds.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Winter Root Prices
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 12:28:55 -0500

One option for wholesale baby carrots is to charge by the count rather than the pound.  I sell wholesale baby carrots in 100 count cases (with tops but NOT bunched) to chefs.  The equivalent price per pound actually ends up being higher than (most) farmers market prices.  100 baby carrots is somewhere around 5 lbs (maybe a bit more, sometimes a bit less).  I sell 100 count cases at $20 to $25 per case.  Baby carrots do not store well so this is not a winter market option.  -John