market-farming - [Market-farming] ? re string/metal blade trimmers aka weed whackers (Roots Farm)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] ? re string/metal blade trimmers aka weed whackers (Roots Farm)
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 12:43:24 -0500

To maintain 2-3' paths in sod, and protect lettuce or other tender plants in the beds from clippings sticking to greens, or larger projectiles shredding the tender crops:
We use a mulching mower, that has no side discharge shoot.  Can use a rear bagger mower as well, and collect the clippings in the bag if they are too thick to leave in the path, or don't stay put because of the volume.

As long as the grass is not too thick/dense, we've also used a battery powered mower with 18# cut.  Rear bagger and works well in narrower rows.

Richard Moyer
SW VA