market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] barrel washer

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne AT lejardinduvillage.ca>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] barrel washer
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 07:36:00 -0400

Very interesting. I see you operate your barrel washer continuously.
Most barrel washer I saw operate in batch. The one I borrowed from a
fellow grower yesterday to wash a 1000 lbs of carrot would do about a
25-30# batch in 5-7 minutes, which amount to about 200#/hour when you
factor in the loading/unloading time. Can you achieve higher throughput
with continuous operation?

Looking at the video, it seems to me the rotation speed is a bit high.
The one I was using used yesterday has a gear box to reduce the motor
speed in half.

Etienne