market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tractors

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne AT lejardinduvillage.ca>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tractors
  • Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 14:56:12 -0400

I know absolutely nothing about tractors, so my advice are not worth
much. However, I recently discovered that front-end loader come in
"quick attach" variant. The guy I hire to rototill has a quick attach
loader on his tractor, and it litteraly takes five minute (if that) to
attach and remove the front end loader. I think that would be very
useful indeed for when you want good visibility in the front (i.e.
cultivating, mulch laying, etc). That's brilliant.

I plan on buying a tractor mid-term (in the next 5 years), and so far,
the little wisdom I gleaned, I will be looking for the following:

- quick-attach front-end loader

- hydrostatic

- creeper gear (less than half a mile an hour)

I think the brand is not really all that important. Instead, I would
rather buy a brand for which there is a dealer and competent mechanics
nearby. In my area, there's Kubota and Massey-Ferguson dealers, so I
will go for either of these.

Personally, I also think I might be better off buying brand new, if I
can get it financed on good enough terms. I got zero mechanic skills,
and little inclination to learn. I think that by buying a brand new
one, I will probably spare myself a lot of trouble in the first couple
of years. And down the road, a tractor depreciate very little, so it's
not like I am throwing money out of the window. I have 20-25 years of
farming ahead of me, an that's plenty enough to amortize the investment.

Have you considered using your 10k$ as a downpayment on a brand new one?

Etienne