market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Wow

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Wow
  • Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 12:24:29 -0500

From our experience, which includes raccoons going after our melons, 6" and
12" strands alone will not keep them out. They are quite the acrobats. We
first tried with 4", 8", and 12". The bigger ones were able to get over the
12" without touching it (the next one up was at 24" for deer). Either that,
or one was standing on another's shoulders to climb through unscathed. We
had to add one at 16", which seems to have stopped them for now. This has
been working for over 5 years. _However_, we currently have 100' of melons
sizing up and no doubt the fence will be tested by all the melon lovers who
live in our forest, so we'll have to get back to you on how this crop fares.