market-farming - [Market-farming] R2-D2 coming soon to a field near you?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kathryn Kerby" <kakerby AT aol.com>
  • To: "Market-Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] R2-D2 coming soon to a field near you?
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 10:40:05 -0700

Good morning all.  Quiet list lately; hope that means that everyone’s growing season is going well and sales have us all too busy to spend time on the computer.

Saw this article in the news today, and I have to admit I have mixed feelings about it:

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2021392605_apusfoodandfarmrobotsonthefarm.html

At first glance it seemed rather far-fetched, but then reading through it I could see how it might be advantageous in some situations.  But then when I thought of all the troubleshooting and purchase/maintenance costs involved, it started to seem preposterous again.  I’d be curious what other small-scale production folks thought of this idea.  We’ve definitely gotten more mechanized over the passage of time, thanks to a combination of more acreage, and making the business decision to not hire employees.  That work has to be done somehow.  But this?  I don’t think we’ll be going this far, even with my background in software engineering.  I just don’t think this is truly ready for prime-time yet.  Comments?
Kathryn Kerby

Frogchorusfarm.com

Snohomish, WA

  • [Market-farming] R2-D2 coming soon to a field near you?, Kathryn Kerby, 07/15/2013