market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Flea beetles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Flea beetles
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 21:11:59 -0400

We plant a tillage radish in high density, in furrows, about six furrows to a bed.  You sprinkle the seed.  Germinates in 3 days, maybe less, harvested in 9 days as a micro green (you can WAY undersell those growers using trays or hydro/aqua and greenhouses during the warm seasons).  We always grow more than we need.  The rest we let grow another week then torch it with a propane wand type burner.  I won't call it a 100% cure but its darn close to coming a perfect of a trap and burn IPM method for us.  Works in both our high tunnel and outside.

You'll still see damage at younger stages of your brassica planting but they begin to favor the micro-radish over the more mature plants as they begin to set more leaves.  Flea Beatles will then migrate to the patch of micro-radish, burn with glee.  Its REALLY simple and works like a charm.  Once you get the oration going you can do it all season.

Hope that helps.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio