market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Is Crushed Concrete Toxic?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Kakerby <kakerby AT aol.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Is Crushed Concrete Toxic?
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 16:29:29 -0400 (EDT)

Laurie, you may need to go directly to the source for the crushed concrete, since formulations and previous use will affect that answer.  But here's a MSDS (material safety data sheet) that I found from one particular company making crushed concrete:

http://www.lafarge-na.com/MSDS_North_America_English_-_Crushed_Concrete.pdf

In their flyer, it's considered toxic because it has silica particulates, which can irritate and inflame breathing passages.

A document such as this should be available from the company providing the crushed concrete product.  If it's not, I would ask if they have something comparable (although the MSDS is the standard document for such questions, so they should have it).  They may also say, as this one does, that each individual batch will have slightly different properties, either due to how it was mixed, or where it was used.  If you can work with whoever is supplying it, they might be able to test just that batch.  But that might also be more hassle than they or you want to work with.  Let us know if you get that far, and what the results are.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA