market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmall tractor

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Brian Luton <bcluton AT aol.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmall tractor
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 07:44:21 -0400

I can't speak to the Basket Weeder specifically.

But we have a Super A. It's a great little tractor, we cultivate crops, mark
rows, hill potatoes, spray, etc etc. It definitely earns its keep. They're
not bad to work on and parts and info are easily available.

You can come up with and/or utilize a range of options but ultimately
everything will be mounted to and/or constructed off of the cultivator tool
bars.

Since your using raised beds I would check the clearance on the cultivator
and tool bars. The tractor itself has plenty of clearance but check the
travel of the tool bars. There is a somewhat limited up down range depending
on what you have mounted under there. You could lift the cultivator up to
what would be the height of your bed and then check the clearance above the
cultivator and see how much more travel you have. There is some "float" on
the toolbars so beware that a rock, high spot in the field, etc can push the
tool bars higher as they bump up and over the object. Pay especially close
attention to the clearance under the oil pan. It's possible and would make
for a pretty bad day if you put the top of a tool through the bottom of your
oil pan!

Our Super A is hands down one of the best investments we've made on the farm.

Brian

Sent from my iPhone