market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] drop spreader

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Ryan Wood-Beauchamp <woodbeau AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] drop spreader
  • Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 14:47:54 -0500

Richard,

We're planning on a drop spreader because we're transitioning to permanent beds with permanent sod pathways.  I don't have a grain drill for seeding cover crop seeds, and I figured that a drop spreader would be able to seed cover crop as well as spread amendments right on the bed, as opposed to a spin spreader that would apply amendments to the sod strips as well.  Applying right to the bed would cut down on the amount of amendments that we would need to spread, and maintaining lower fertility in the pathways would, I hope, help reduce the growth of the grass to minimize mowing.

-Ryan

I am curious what you are using the drop spreader for.  I honestly never knew they made 3pt versions.

We use a grain drill (with a fine seed box when needed) or a cyclone and drag for seeding and our manure spreader for amendment.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio