market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] germination testing carrot and onion seed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Brian Luton <bcluton AT aol.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] germination testing carrot and onion seed
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 09:31:50 -0500

Andy,

I typically will use germination trays.(the ones with 20 some rows) and will
start the seeds by group in potting soil on a heat mat. If the mat is to hot
I invert another germination tray and set the one with seeds on top of that.
Maintain temp and moisture and I think it's a good system. In my experience
raw carrot seed lasts well for a few years if stored alright. I've never
found an allium worth planting after year one. It's the weird biology of
seeds I guess.

Brian

Sent from my iPhone