market-farming - [Market-farming] Parsnips

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pam Twin Oaks <pam AT twinoaks.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Parsnips
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 10:12:09 -0500

We've had trouble with our parsnips being very fibrous this year. We wonder what we did wrong. Seems like we did the same as usual, except maybe harvested them a bit late (it was January). Do you know if we should have harvested before the solstice, or before the weather got warm after being cold? Do you know if some varieties are more prone to getting fibrous? If so, which ones are least prone? Zone 7 here, central Virginia. I'd particularly like to hear from people with a similar (changing) climate.

Pam, Twin Oaks Community

--
Pam Dawling

Author of Sustainable Market Farming, Intensive Vegetable Production on a Few Acres
http://www.sustainablemarketfarming.com/
http://www.facebook.com/SustainableMarketFarming
http://www.newsociety.com/Books/S/Sustainable-Market-Farming

  • [Market-farming] Parsnips, Pam Twin Oaks, 01/21/2013