market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] cauliflower, romanesco

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] cauliflower, romanesco
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 11:59:15 -0400

My romanesco has done nothing whatsoever but make plants. The plants are huge; they have been huge for quite some time; they are not heading. They were started from transplant and planted out on June 3.

The brussels sprouts (same transplant date as the romanesco), piricicaba, cauliflower, cabbage, and broccoli (planted out mid-July, a bit later than originally intended) are running late this year, having also produced big plants for some time before sprouts and heads; but they are producing something. All these are in the same field. Water was lacking midseason -- I was able to get enough irrigation on them to keep them alive, but not enough to keep them growing vigorously -- but has been in decent supply since early September.