market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Raspberry pests-- Drosophila

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marlin Burkholder <burkholders AT glenecofarm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Raspberry pests-- Drosophila
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 00:24:22 -0400

Title: Re: [Market-farming] Raspberry pests-- Drosophila
Some of the larva/maggots did hatch out into little flies with red heads.

As you can read from the forwarded message below, I know who to share our berry pest problem with now.
If you are interested in the research, contact Ted Rogers.

Greetings folks,

As you know Anne Nielsen, now at Rutgers, and the team of scientists and farmers who were funded under OREI   are functional and at work on BMSB.  I suppose it is only to be expected that another invasive pest (this one better known) would emerge here on the east coast.  We are receiving indications that the Spotted Wing
Drosophila (SWD) a pest that has been causing problems on the West Coast is an emerging pest here in the East.  It has also been causing problems in Michigan for the last few years.  My first contact was with Matt Grieshop at Michigan State.  He agreed that we should get some of you together to talk about this little vinegar fly (looks like a fruit fly to me) and its implications to Organic production.

SWD can be devastating on blueberries, strawberries, cane-berries, grapes, peaches and plums.  It does not seem to be a problem in pome fruit.  Fortunately Spinosad is effective against the little bugger.  Unfortunately Spinosad can cause ecosystem problems, usually manifest in secondary pests emerging as problems.

Matt is going to lead the technical side, we will set up conference calls over the next month to discuss how we need to organize.  Let me know if you want to be dropped from this list.  I’m attaching a picture of SWD and a pdf of an Oregon State flier on damage to some of the soft fruits.

As usual if you know of anyone who should know about our work please pass this email along.  I need phone number and email address to put you on the list.

I look forward talking to you.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or comments.

Best,
Ted Rogers
Biologist, Senior Policy Analyst
USDA Office of Pest Management Policy
202-720-3846
ted.rogers AT ars.usda.gov <mailto:ted.rogers AT ars.usda.gov>