market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Revisiting Raspberry problem

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shoemaker, William H" <wshoemak AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Revisiting Raspberry problem
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 01:19:02 +0000

You might be able to raise the maggots into adults to help ID them. You can put them into a clear sealed container, like a Glad plastic snap-top, with some of the berries. Keep them at a mild temp in shaded conditions and they'll form pupas pretty quickly. They'll hatch into adults not long after that. Then throw the container in the freezer and they'll die but be preserved. You should be able to get a good ID after that. I wouldn't rule out Spotted Wing Drosophila. It is a new invasive that had spread quickly across the eastern US. They love soft fruits like raspberries. We had a positive ID in Peoria, IL last Fall, which was a rude shock.

Bill

William H. Shoemaker

University of Illinois, Crop Sciences

St Charles Horticulture Research Center