market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Bean beetle control

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Bean beetle control
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 14:43:46 -0400

Allan,
We get acceptable Mexican bean beetle control with the purchased parasite Pediobius.  This would be too late for the heavily infested beans you have out (takes time to build their number), but may be worth a try for new plantings of beans.

We like the idea of a tiny wasp that searches and destroys most bean beetle larva, and the idea that each larva thus found produces many more wasps.

This is the only bean beetle control we've used for multiple years, on several hundred row feet of pole beans per year.

For effective use of the Pediobius wasp, this appears to be one area of life where it's worth reading and following the instructions.

Richard in SW VA

Also, my last planting of beans has been hit pretty hard by bean
beetles, inspite of weekly spraying with pyrethreum  I'm wondering if
anyone is having luck controlling bean beetles (for example: is that
bean beetle bT still off the market?)

Thanks

_Allan in WV where the heatwave is coming back next wk