market-farming - [Market-farming] paper pot transplanter

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Burke Farm <burkefarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] paper pot transplanter
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 12:37:54 -0400

I got my paper pot transplanter from http://smallfarmworks.com/

I agree with the other poster..when you are on a small scale and only
have 1 or 2 people on the farm at a time, it is a game changer for
transplanting. I use 4" spacing for lettuce, beets, chard, other
greens (not kale), basil, dill,etc. Other things like fennel it could
probably do if I were more fastidious about transplanting on time.
(Nothing is very fastidious this summer as I just gave birth to child
# 2... ) I have had mixed results with onions.

Even in my lumpy clay loam soil, it works pretty well when it's fairly
dry and the soil is tilled.. and when it's not, the second person
helping and going back to bury all the transplants is still MUCH
faster than transplanting all those little plants by hand in soil
blocks, which is what we did before.

I still use soil blocks for brassicas. I have gone back and forth
between blocks and open flats for peppers and tomatoes, I pot them up
into 3" fertilpots to sell at markets or go in the ground once they
are big enough.

Today we direct seeded beets, carrots, and fall beans.. under the
assumption that this weekend's forecast for rain is not a false alarm.
Fingers crossed. Miraculously, I have cucumbers up the wazoo, even
in this 90 - 105 weather. Guess that low-lying,
usually-underwater-in-June part of the field turned out to be good for
something this summer.

Lisa Burke
Farming Engineers LLC
central IN z 5b