market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Frost on the Fourth!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: charlie taplin <vthick43 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Frost on the Fourth!
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 07:19:33 -0400

Hi,
Are you near Victor,ID my son & wife, two grandson live there. We had 1.5" rain, 1/4" hail, 60 mph, all in 15 mins. on the 4th. Didn't hurt the acre of potatoes, hurt some newly transplanted
melons, other garden 1.5 acres damaged some of our 350 tomato plants (we ripen in the field)
that garden is on a slope so it washed pretty good. I retired from my ag business to go from a
small roadside stand to a much larger operation, even hire help besides my wife and me, I am
70 yrs.old. so I spend more time "riding my butt". Started out cold and wet lost many cucumber
plants, then the cucumber beetle (which I think I have defeated) used a combination Pyganic
5.0 and Surround, learned some tricks in the process.  I consider this 10 mile sq. area zone 3.5.
Hope you warm up.  The hail we had covered the ground like ice, didn't stay long.

Zone 3.5, 2000ft,  central VT, 132 acres, 4 in veggies, 65 in hay, 30 pasture, remained
forest. 231 yr. old farm, only owned by two families. certified organic