market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Crop rotation & triple cropping

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Crop rotation & triple cropping
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 12:45:46 -0400 (EDT)

For many years I've followed the relatively simplistic "leaf, root, flower, fruit" rotation, but it left me unsatisfied in a lot of ways.  Specifically, I could probably find brassicas that would meet all four categories, at which point it wouldn't truly be a rotation.  Plus it didn't really allow for soil-building cover crops.  So I've been shopping for a new rotation plan.

While keeping an ear open for such things, I was really impressed with a presentation I saw last year, about Eric and Ann Nordell's "Weed the Soil, Not The Crop" rotation plan.  They started off with an overgrown hay field, which is one of the scenarios we're potentially dealing with here.  In very general terms, they have a four-year cycle which features the following cycle on every one of their planting areas:

1) overwintering cover crop
2) late veggies
3) winter-killed cover crop
4) early veggies

So with that, half their growing area is always in cover crop, with the other half distributed between early and late veggies.  Not only does that rotate crops in space and time, it also spreads the workload out and gives them the chance to include cover crops that they might not otherwise have been able to use.

I have been mulling how best to put that into use here.  The plan is to develop a rotation in my own planting beds to mimic that system, starting this fall.  We're working this year to convert over some areas used as livestock paddocks into growing areas.  My hope is that I'll get the critters moved in the next few weeks, then have this summer to take down fencing, set up planting beds, then this fall start with planting the cover crops.  We'll see if I actually get any of it done.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else is using their system, and how it is working out.  I'd also generally love to hear about anyone's rotation plan, and what works/what doesn't.
Kathryn Kerby, always looking for more good ideas
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html