market-farming - [Market-farming] After 60 years, a total pea failure?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Gary Brever" <gjbrever AT midwestinfo.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] After 60 years, a total pea failure?
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 18:24:42 -0500

We have had to deal with poor germination with our peas for the last 3
years. It's either a bacteria in our soil that makes them rot and then
maggots get them. They will sprout and all look good. Then a couple days
later they all turn to mush. We have tried everything... various organic
treatments, (root shield and the organic seed treatment from Johnnys)...
Same thing. We have now gone to transplanting our peas 3 seeds per cell in
72s. and plant them out a foot a part. It's our only option.
Same thing with our corn which we have now quit growing due to these
problems.
Gary Brever
Ploughshare Farm