market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Insect Pressure

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Insect Pressure
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 22:33:03 -0400

Flea beetles have been outrageous.  We just discovered leek moth.  And as of this afternoon, confirmed downy mildew on the onions we planted last fall to overwinter.  Got out in the rain/mud and cut them off and stuffed them into huge (heavy) barrel liners, hoping to keep spores away from out spring planted onions about 400 feet away.  Will spray copper if it dries out tomorrow.  Onions and garlic used to be totally trouble free, no-brainers.  Not anymore. Few CPB, but we normally have light populations. Don’t like the sound of the cuke beetles Andy.  I am growing cukes inside this year in hopes of having fewer and controlling them better.  They decimated the cukes last year, and the cukes that made were extremely scarred. Hoping for a better cuke year. And potato year – but late blight has been found in New Jersey and on Long Island. Apparently from Maine seed potatoes (sorry Mainers, no offense meant, just info).

Beth Spaugh

Rehoboth Homestead, Peru NY

http://rhomestead.com      http://www.facebook.com/rhomestead

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe