market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] WiFi recommendations?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne AT lejardinduvillage.ca>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] WiFi recommendations?
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 19:36:57 -0400

I don't have a specific brand/model to recommend (they change
constantly), but depending on how much work and money you are willing to
put on a solution, I would suggest you get a router with a detachable
antenna, and then buy a directional antenna with good gain. I have not
bought one in years, but there are a couple place to get these online.
Here's an example of such an antenna:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2399653&CatId=374

If you go that route (pun!), make sure the antenna connector match the
router.

Coupled with some sort of VoIP (Skype, Google Voice, any SIP service),
you may actually be able to make calls from the field while bypassing
your telco provider altogether.

In my case, I plan on doing something similar, if not this summer, then
the next. Beside having phone service in the field (using VoIP), I
would use it to check my field notes and crop plan on Google Doc.