market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Shade cloth for lettuce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Harriet Allen <hattie_allen AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Shade cloth for lettuce
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 14:56:33 -0700 (PDT)

I have been using the 40% cloth I bought and if I buy more, I'll go to 30%.  It works fine when it is really really hot and dry, but more light would probably be better and if things get damp, the lettuce can go downhill really fast with all that shade...encourages critters, mold, etc.

I do take it on and off, but I think I'd be happiest with 30%.  I'm in Zone 7 (probably B now), but we are particularly humid here most of the time in summer...although we have had extended months of drought these last few summers.  Our rainfall is behind again this year and luckily it rained three inches in time for farmers to plant soy and corn statewide just about the beginning of May...Not much since then though.

Hattie
Hattie's Garden
Lewes, DE, Zone 7

  • Re: [Market-farming] Shade cloth for lettuce, Harriet Allen, 05/20/2012