market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pricing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pricing
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 15:28:09 -0400

On May 4, 2012, at 3:02 PM, Richard Moyer wrote:

We have a volunteer at our market that records prices on a variety of produce at market, then sends it into our Virginia Dept of Ag and Consumer Services.  They organize all the material and post it weekly; we can then see the statewide range of prices on many items we sell.

Thanks very much! I've bookmarked it and added it to my list of price sources.

When unit isn't specified, is the price per pound? In a few cases they said pint or bunch, but a lot of prices didn't say per what amount. -- I wonder if wildly different head sizes could explain the huge range on cabbage on one week that I checked at random, if the price is per head; or if one price could be per head and another per pound and that would explain it.

New Farm used to do such a list at markets in a number of different areas and post it online, but I think they ran out of volunteers to manage it, and dropped it some years ago.