market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] snow peas

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] snow peas
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 11:01:41 -0500

I transplanted at 6" apart. The seedlings were only a week and a half old at
most. That quick turnaround gives flexibility in the planting - I don't
have dates planned yet and will wait and see how the weather goes. I do
have some area prepared both flat and raised beds and when it thaws enough I
can put QuickHoops in (didn't get to it in fall) I'll start some peas. They
may not make it but I have lots of seed. Of course using QuickHoops I can't
set the trellises until they have enough growth to make that a little
challenging.

Last year I transplanted April 22 and then again May 10 - Cascadia, Sugar
Ann, Sugar Snap, Sugar Sprint, Mammoth Snow, Oregon sugar, Blizzard - I
overbought peas when I started up but they have kept well so far.

Hmmm, for earliest I might go with 4 seeds/cell in 72s and plant 12" apart.
That might allow a little more growth inside/wiggle room for weather.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead, Peru NY
http://rhomestead.com http://www.facebook.com/rhomestead

Wendell Berry