market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] carrots

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shoemaker, William H" <wshoemak AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] carrots
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 16:09:21 +0000

I always address these things first by remembering that these are living organisms. They have limited abilities but they can respond to their environments. Carrot roots are pretty dormant at 35 degF but they may be searching for moisture. The surface cells of the root may be getting a little too dry. They may be producing hair roots to find a source of moisture. That might explain why MAsteveINE's carrots aren't. They have moisture in the sand meeting the roots' requirements.

Bill

William H. Shoemaker

University of Illinois, Crop Sciences

St Charles Horticulture Research Center