market-farming - [Market-farming] Forage Radish harboring brassica diseases? (was Forage radishes)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: grizzdover AT gmail.com
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Forage Radish harboring brassica diseases? (was Forage radishes)
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 23:45:32 -0600

Hello All,

I have been very interested in using tillage radish to break up the hard pan.  Two seasons ago I had black rot "appear" in one field and this last season I had a different field that had cecropia leaf spot severly in my beets.  I know cecropia can be carried by many common "weeds" I've got (i.e. lambs quarters), but I'm wondering about tillage radish.  I would really like to use the tillage radish for my hard pan, but am willing to skip the radish if it may add to my disease "pressure".  Am I just being paranoid (lost all my fall brassicas due to black rot that one year) or are my fears "reasonable" : ) ?

Ben Saunders
Turtle Farm
Granger, Iowa
www.turtle-farm.com