market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] sweet corn?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shoemaker, William H" <wshoemak AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] sweet corn?
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 14:07:33 +0000

Early and large are two opposing traits, but one early variety I like a lot
is Trinity http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7366-trinity-f1-natural-ii.aspx . It
is good looking, productive, tasty and handles cool soils well for an early
start.

If you are in the Midwest you'll need to be prepared for handling corn
earworm. A local seed corn company or another grower may be using a pheremone
trap to track its presence. You may be able to avoid the pest but you'll need
to have local trap data to know whether you can avoid it or not. If no one
else has one nearby, consider buying a trap and some pheremone strips.

Bill
William H. Shoemaker
University of Illinois, Crop Sciences
St Charles Horticulture Research Center