market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] What is Rock Phosphate?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] What is Rock Phosphate?
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 08:11:33 -0500

I don't think there's usually much phosphate in granite; though will defer to geologists or soil scientists on this.

I would also strongly recommend asking the well driller whether anything used in the drilling process might be mixed with the rock grindings, and if so what the material is. I don't know whether they use lubricants etc.; presumably anything used is either nontoxic or in some manner prevented from getting into the well, but I'd want to find out which before putting the grindings on the beds.

Before assuming that your particular asparagus beds need phosphate, I'd get a soil test. In some areas this nutrient is naturally high; and in some other areas, some gardens and fields are high in it due to years of historic excess applications.