market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Garlic
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:18:43 -0500 (EST)

I was always under the impression that mulch helped minimize frost-heave for fall plantings, and minimized weed competition during the growing season.  In your study, were those concerns not really an issue?  Here, we don't have a major issue with frost heave but we do have issues with weeds totally smothering the garlic if we don't mulch.  So I was surprised your findings didn't see any benefit.  Care to elaborate?
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html