market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Jerusalem Artichokes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <bobbett AT windstream.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Jerusalem Artichokes
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 20:26:20 -0500

> Would love to hear anyone else's thoughts about growing them since it's a
> new crop to me.

I may have some for sale. Plan on digging up the bed later this week,
perhaps Saturday since it appears to be the last dry day before Thanksgiving.
What I've dug up so far didn't do well this year. Since I've been growing
the same type for more than 10 years, I can only surmise it was August's
drought that might have stunted the tubers because the plants were gorgeous
and huge!

As for the tubers, I only eat and plant the bulbous ones. The long roots
might be good for planting (don't know), but I don't believe they cook up
well.

Bobbett, KY/zone 6