market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] roll up sides on tunnels

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] roll up sides on tunnels
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:58:44 -0400 (EDT)

We tried to do roll-up sides with the greenhouse I worked at earlier in the year.  One side went together pretty easily.  We taped the bottom of the film to a continuous length of bar, composed of three lengths of pipe slip-fit into each other, then with a crank on the end.  It worked beautifully.  But the other side of the greenhouse, with the exact same assembly, didn't work so well.  The slip-fit joints for the roller bar kept slipping, such that with each crank of the crank arm, the farther sections of pipe would only roll 3/4 or even 1/2 way around instead of one full revolution to match the crank arm.  So there was a droop in the curtain at the end of the house farthest away from the crank arm.  When it was all said and done, the one roll-up side would have made it seem like child's play, but that second side was just not worth it.  It probably would have been faster to just tie it up as described below.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html