market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Overwintering Spinach in Northern U.S. climate

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Owsley <boulderbelt AT embarqmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Overwintering Spinach in Northern U.S. climate
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 06:10:51 -0400

We grow winter giant, space, tyee and bloomsdale successfully over winter. We have had great luck just using row covers (especially if the winter is snowy and the spinach stays well covered through the coldest parts of winter. if you want to harvest in winter a high tunnel is best to have over the pkants, otherwise expect to work about an hour uncovering the spinach-removing snow and ice from the row covers.

One thing to look out for are voles. last year we lost two beds to the critters and ended up removing the row covers so the cats and dog the dog could get at them. Voles love to eat things under row covers and in high tunnels as well

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Eco-Farm
Eaton, OH
http://www.boulderbeltfarm.com