market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Transplants vs direct-seeded crops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Transplants vs direct-seeded crops
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 14:51:27 -0400

Don't know about Carla's experience; but what I've heard is that direct-seeded crops usually develop deeper root systems than transplants, and so may be more drought-resistant, because they can get at water that's deeper in the ground.

Carla, were your transplants irrigated? If so, that might not have been the problem.