market-farming - [Market-farming] Pruning Primocane Fruiting Raspberries

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: grizzdover AT gmail.com
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Pruning Primocane Fruiting Raspberries
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 16:42:45 -0500

Hello All,

This season I experienced quite a bit of deer nibbling on my 'Autumn Brittney' raspberry planting early in the season.  I noticed that the deer eaten ones produced mulitple "top" shoots with each one flowering and producing fruit.  Has anyone "intentionally" pruned primocane type raspberries for a greater harvest?  If so, what has been your experience?  The fruit on the "pruned" ones this season produced very similar to ones not eaten and my "scientific" observations while harvesting were that the berries were similar in size/quantity between the plant with multiple "tops" and the single top ones.  They also seemed to produce just as many producing "lateral" producing branches as the un-"pruned" ones.  I can't seem to find any info on" pruning" primocane fruiting raspberries (besides mowing off to the ground after fruiting) so any sources of info would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ben Saunders
Turtle Farm Certifed Organic Fruits, Veggies and Herbs
Granger, Iowa
www.turtle-farm.com