market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Insurance for the little farm

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Insurance for the little farm
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 10:31:20 -0400

You are certified organic? Check with your certifier to see what others are
using. In New York our options seem to be Farm Family (Farm Bureau) and
Erie Niagara. We have a farm policy which includes our house, auto which
includes business use, and an umbrella. Having the umbrella let us reduce
our liability coverage on the individual policies.

Farm Family here has a stepped program. The first few years we were on
their "gentlemen farm" (I think they had a different name) which was for
small farmers, lower price. At that time, the limit was $14,000 sales, but
it may have increased. Above that sales amount we moved to their regular
farm policy. In New York you have to join Farm Bureau the first year to get
the policy.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead, Peru NY
http://rhomestead.com http://www.facebook.com/rhomestead