market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] is the list quiet

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "BarbaraJ" <jbmckillip AT mesanetworks.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] is the list quiet
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 20:58:41 -0600

WOW!  Awesome!  Congrats :)

Barb
Colorado
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2011 8:36 PM

Today was a very big day here.  We finally signed the land lease that I think I spoke of this past winter.  We rented 14 acres of pastureland from the older gentleman farmer who is one part foster grandfather, one part mentor, one part hay broker for me.  His kids and grandkids look to the farm as a pretty place and full of memories but none of them are interested in actively working it.  I had hoped and worked towards this day for a long time and it's finally a done deal.  His eyes were gleaming as we started to talk about the livestock I'll be grazing there and the soil testing I'll be doing, how I'll keep the pasture tended, how I'll be fencing and rotating paddocks, etc.  This is a piece of ground away from the main farm which has been under-utilized for many years.  He just didn't have the energy to get out there and deal with it.  So having someone working it again for honest-to-goodness agricultural purposes (as opposed to something like a soccer field or a paint-ball field) is making him all sorts of happy.  It's a big step for us and solves a lot of feed issues for us, but I think I'm more pleased about his excitement at having it in production again.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html